South Korea withdraws budget minister nominee after allegations
Conservative Lee Hye-hoon’s appointment was viewed as an attempt by President Lee Jae Myung to promote national unity with cross-party appointments

South Korea’s president has withdrawn his nomination of Lee Hye-hoon to head the country’s newly created budget ministry after she was accused of unlawful real estate investments and mistreating staff.
The plan to appoint the former conservative lawmaker from former president Yoon’s People Power Party was viewed as an attempt by President Lee Jae Myung to promote national unity with some cross-party appointments. Lee’s liberal government was elected after his predecessor, Yoon Suk-yeol, was ousted last year following a brief imposition of martial law.
Woo Sang-ho, a presidential secretary, said in a televised address on Sunday that Lee Hye-hoon had not lived up to the people’s expectations.
At Lee’s confirmation hearing on Friday, the three-term lawmaker argued that her family had not taken advantage of the country’s flat investment system, but agreed that she had often been out of line in how she had once treated her staff.
“I once again apologise to everyone hurt by my immature words and actions,” Lee said.
The budget ministry said its acting vice-minister, Lim Ki-Keun, will lead policy meetings for the time being.