China confirms invite to join Trump’s Gaza ‘peace board’ but won’t say if it will accept
US President Donald Trump has invited dozens of leaders to join the body, but is reportedly demanding US$1 billion for permanent membership

When asked about China’s position on the US president’s proposal on Tuesday, foreign ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said the invitation had been received but he did not say whether Beijing would accept.
Trump has invited dozens of world leaders to join the initiative as part of his efforts to push forward his 20-point plan to resolve the conflict in Gaza.
The board was originally conceived to oversee the rebuilding of the war-torn territory, but a draft charter sent out last week to prospective members suggested its role could be expanded to other conflicts.
Those invited to join include Russian President Vladimir Putin and Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The Kremlin has said it was “studying the details” of the proposal and wanted to clarify “all the nuances” with the US.