3 homeowners at Hong Kong’s Redhill Peninsula fined for illegal building works
Homeowners were convicted and fined sums of HK$130,000, HK$85,000 and HK$60,000 for unauthorised works at seaside estate

Three homeowners at Hong Kong’s luxury Redhill Peninsula housing estate have received fines totalling HK$275,000 (US$35,270) for carrying out illegal building works on their properties.
The Buildings Department said on Monday that the fines were handed down by Eastern Court last week after the owners of three detached houses pleaded guilty to undertaking unauthorised work.
They were found to have knowingly undertaken building works without prior approval or consent from the department, which contravened the Buildings Ordinance, the government said.
The cases came to light after the department conducted a large-scale inspection of houses along the coastal area of Redhill Peninsula in September 2023.
Landslides triggered by a record-breaking downpour that year drew attention to extensive illegal additions at the seaside estate and prompted authorities to launch the operation.
Unauthorised building works were uncovered at a number of detached houses on the estate.
“The investigation by the Buildings Department found that the owners of the three houses had knowingly carried out the unauthorised building works … including adding structures to the garden, open yard, living room, bedroom, flat roof and the rooftop,” the government said.