Over 110,000 secure waivers since Hong Kong public medical fee reform took effect
Health minister Lo Chung-mau says about 53,000 received concession certificates, while roughly 60,000 granted three-month conditional waivers

More than 110,000 patients have secured fee waivers since Hong Kong’s public medical fee reform took effect at the start of the year, a jump from a previous annual number of 14,000, the health minister has said while defending the overhaul.
Secretary for Health Lo Chung-mau also said on Friday that among the more than 110,000 people with approved waivers, about 53,000 had already received certificates for fee reduction.
The roughly 60,000 patients remaining who had failed to provide income and asset proof were granted three-month conditional waivers, he said, adding that they must still submit the relevant documents and that authorities would conduct random checks to prevent abuse of medical resources.
“It has been less than a month since the reform was implemented, but the number of people receiving the waiver has increased from only 14,000 a year in the past to more than 110,000 people,” he said at a meeting of the Legislative Council’s panel on health services.
“More people with real financial needs have been added.”
Some lawmakers questioned the effectiveness and impact of the public medical fee reform during the meeting.
