-
Advertisement
Hong Kong society
Hong KongHong Kong Economy

Hongkongers forge ahead with Japan travel amid July 5 ‘megaquake’ fears

‘We made zero preparations for the earthquake. The most we do is read the news more frequently,’ tourist says

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
5
Travellers at Hong Kong International Airport’s departure hall. Photo: Edmond So
Lorraine Chiang

Some Hongkongers pressed ahead with trips to Japan on Saturday morning despite “slight worries” about a widely discussed prediction of a “megaquake” hitting the country on July 5.

While travellers told the Post they would pay more attention to the local news, they acknowledged being unprepared for potential earthquakes.

“I felt a little uncomfortable at first, but my son and his wife had already got the tickets. It is a summer holiday for my grandson, so we seized the chance,” said Ho Wan-chan, a 73-year-old travelling to Nagoya.

Advertisement

The family was among the dozens of Hongkongers waiting to check in at the airport on Saturday morning.

They snatched up round-trip tickets that included one piece of luggage for each person for about HK$1,000 (US$127), which they described as “much cheaper” than usual.

Advertisement

Bonnie Lei, a 40-year-old teacher heading to Tokyo, said she was “slightly worried” about the earthquake because of the prediction.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x