Beijing, Hong Kong slam European bid to sanction officials over Jimmy Lai trial
Resolution in response to conviction of former media boss also calls for rethink of city’s trade status under World Trade Organization

Beijing and Hong Kong authorities have condemned a resolution strongly backed by the European Parliament to sanction officials and revoke the city’s special trade status to protest against former media boss Jimmy Lai Chee-ying’s conviction in a national security trial.
A spokesman for the foreign ministry’s arm in Hong Kong on Friday expressed “strong condemnation and opposition” while accusing the European Parliament of ignoring facts and distorting the truth.
“The European Parliament has seriously interfered with Hong Kong’s judiciary and gravely violated international law and the basic norms governing international relations,” a spokesman for the Commissioner’s Office of China’s Foreign Ministry in Hong Kong said.
The Hong Kong government on Thursday evening condemned the European body for making “baseless accusations” against the city and using Lai’s case to smear its national security legislation.
“The government strongly urges the European Parliament to understand the facts relating to the Lai Chee-ying case as soon as possible, and it is never too late to mend,” a spokesman said.
Earlier on Thursday, 503 members of parliament voted in favour of the non-binding resolution at a plenary session in Strasbourg, France, with only nine voting against it. There were 100 abstentions.