-
Advertisement
Hong Kong transport
Hong KongTransport

Star Cruises ‘fully prepared’ for next Hong Kong sailing after anger over axed trip

Cruise operator apologised for cancelling three-day, two-night voyage to Xiamen on Friday evening

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
17
Hundreds of passengers queue at Ocean Terminal waiting to board the ship. Photo: Facebook/Longman Lo
Harvey Kong

Star Cruises has said its ship is “fully prepared” for its next voyage from Hong Kong after a scheduled departure on Friday was cancelled because of “an unforeseen technical issue”, leaving angry passengers who had waited for hours to board complaining they had been treated like “refugees”.

The cruise operator apologised for cancelling the three-day, two-night voyage to Xiamen in mainland China, offering customers the choice of rescheduling or a full refund.

On Saturday morning, the cruise ship, Star Voyager, remained docked at Ocean Terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui, with black smoke occasionally billowing from the vessel’s funnel, which a marine engineer attributed to engine testing.

Advertisement

The company later said that the ship was ready to depart on Sunday.

Black smoke billows out of the ship’s funnel at Ocean Terminal. Photo: Handout
Black smoke billows out of the ship’s funnel at Ocean Terminal. Photo: Handout

The aborted voyage would have marked the cruise line’s return to using Hong Kong as its home port for a nine-month period ending on November 13.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x