-
Advertisement
Britain
WorldEurope

UK’s Starmer tells ex-prince Andrew to face US Congress over Epstein files

The prime minister’s tougher stance is likely to ratchet up the pressure on Andrew, who was stripped of his royal titles by the king last year

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
2
Images released by the US Department of Justice show former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor leaning over an unidentified person. Photo: AP
Agence France-Presse

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Saturday that disgraced former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor should testify in the US Congress over what he knows about the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein’s crimes.

Asked on the final day of a visit this week to China and Japan whether King Charles’ brother should answer US lawmakers’ questions about his knowledge of the American financier’s wrongdoing, Starmer replied “yes”.

“I’ve always said anybody that [has] got information should be prepared to share that information in whatever form they are asked to do that,” he told reporters.

Advertisement

“Because you can’t be victim-centred if you are not prepared to do that,” the British leader said, noting Epstein’s victims “have to be the first priority”.

Starmer had previously only encouraged “anybody who has got relevant information” in such cases to testify and had said in November that Andrew doing so was a “decision for him”.

Advertisement

His tougher stance is likely to ratchet up the pressure on the ex-Duke of York, who was stripped of his royal titles and honours by the king late last year amid his role in the ongoing Epstein scandal.

The comments come after the US Justice Department on Friday dumped more Epstein files, including newly embarrassing photos of Andrew and emails between him and the disgraced financier, who took his own life in 2019 while facing sex trafficking charges.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x