Nato starts planning for Arctic military mission amid Greenland row with Trump
The defence alliance has said it would boost its presence in the region after the US president’s repeated threats to take over the island

Nato said on Tuesday that military planning has started for a new mission to bolster security in the Arctic, after US President Donald Trump made protecting the region central to his demands for Greenland.
“Planning is under way for a Nato enhanced vigilance activity, named Arctic Sentry,” said Martin O’Donnell, a spokesman for Nato’s Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe.
“The activity will even further strengthen Nato’s posture in the Arctic and High North,” he added, without providing further details.
Trump’s threats against Greenland last month plunged the transatlantic alliance into its deepest crisis in years.
The unpredictable US leader backed off his desire to take control of Denmark’s autonomous Arctic territory after saying he had struck a “framework” deal with Nato chief Mark Rutte to ensure greater American influence.
Nato said it would take steps to boost its presence in the Arctic after Trump used the alleged threat of Russia and China to justify his designs on Greenland.
