Advertisement
Britain and France bombed suspected Isis arms dump in Syria: UK defence ministry
Intelligence analysis identified an underground facility believed to contain weapons and explosives in mountains near Palmyra, the UK said
Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
1

Britain’s and France’s air forces conducted a joint operation on Saturday evening to bomb a suspected underground arms cache previously used by the Islamic State (Isis) in Syria, Britain’s defence ministry said.
“Royal Air Force aircraft have completed successful strikes against Daesh in a joint operation with France,” the ministry said in a statement, using the Arabic acronym for Isis.
“This facility had been occupied by Daesh, most likely to store weapons and explosives. The area around the facility is devoid of any civilian habitation.”
Advertisement
The ministry said there was no indication the bombing north of the ancient site of Palmyra had posed any risk to civilians.

“Our aircraft used Paveway IV guided bombs to target a number of access tunnels down to the facility; whilst detailed assessment is now under way, initial indications are that the target was engaged successfully,” Britain’s defence ministry said in a statement.
Advertisement
All its aircraft had returned safely, the statement added.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x