Newsom, on world stage in Davos, accuses Trump of trying to suppress dissent
After being barred from a Davos event, California’s governor blasts the Trump administration for its ‘authoritarian tendencies’

California Governor Gavin Newsom on Thursday said he was not surprised the Trump administration blocked his appearance at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland the day before, saying it was another example of the US president trying to stifle dissent.
“Is it surprising the Trump administration didn’t like my commentary and wanted to make sure that I was not allowed to speak? No,” said Newsom, who is weighing a 2028 presidential run. “It’s consistent with this administration and their authoritarian tendencies.”
The Democratic governor spoke Thursday morning in Davos, less than a day after his scheduled conversation with Fortune at USA House was cancelled. Newsom said the event had been positioned as a discussion following Trump’s speech at the global forum. However, Newsom said, the Trump administration “made sure it was cancelled”.
“That’s what’s happening in the United States of America,” said Newsom, whose Thursday appearance speaking with Semafor’s Ben Smith was at a different location. “Freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, freedom of speech - it’s America in reverse. They’re censoring historical facts. They’re rewriting history.”
The USA House is a privately run and corporate sponsored venue serving as the official United States hub at the Global Economic Forum. The venue featured several Trump administration speakers this week.
