-
Advertisement
Canada
WorldUnited States & Canada

Canada’s Carney links Trump’s 100% tariff threat to North America trade deal review

Canada’s prime minister calls Donald Trump a ‘strong negotiator’ ahead of high-stakes USMCA talks

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
2
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said some of US President Donald Trump’s threats should be viewed as bluster. Photo: TNS
Agence France-Presse

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Monday played down US President Donald Trump’s latest tariff threat against Canada, saying the comments should be viewed with an eye towards a coming trade deal review.

Asked about Trump’s threat to impose 100 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports should Ottawa finalise a new trade deal with China, Carney told reporters that the North American free trade deal is up for review this year and “the president is a strong negotiator”.
“I think some of these comments and positioning should be viewed in the broader context of that,” Carney said.
Advertisement
Trump has so far adhered to most of the existing United States-Canada-Mexico Agreement (USMCA), which the president negotiated and praised during his first term.
Canada has been hit hard by Trump’s sectoral tariffs – especially in the car, steel and aluminium sectors – but more than 85 per cent of bilateral US-Canada trade has remained tariff-free through the continuing trade war.
Advertisement

Substantial changes to the USMCA could upend the Canadian economy.

WATCH: Chinese President Xi Jinping meets with Canadian PM Mark Carney

WATCH: Chinese President Xi Jinping meets with Canadian PM Mark Carney
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x