-
Advertisement
United States
WorldUnited States & Canada

Meta’s Zuckerberg grilled in landmark US social media addiction trial

The 41-year-old Meta CEO admits regret over slow youth safety progress in a high-stakes California lawsuit

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg arrives for a trial in Los Angeles on Wednesday. Photo: AP
Agence France-Presse

CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on Wednesday he regretted Meta’s slow progress in identifying underage users on Instagram, as he faced stinging criticism at a landmark social media trial over accusations that his company deliberately hooked children.

Asked to comment on complaints from inside the company that not enough was being done to verify whether children under 13 were using the platform, the 41-year-old head of Meta, which also owns Facebook and WhatsApp, said improvements had been made.

But “I always wish that we could have gotten there sooner,” he added.

Advertisement

Zuckerberg was the most hotly anticipated witness in the California trial, the first in a series of lawsuits filed by American families against social media platforms.

Mark Zuckerberg testifying. Image: Mona Edwards via Reuters
Mark Zuckerberg testifying. Image: Mona Edwards via Reuters

The trial marked the first time the multibillionaire addressed the safety of his world-dominating platforms directly before a jury and under oath.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x