Lacrosse boss upbeat about sport as ‘legendary’ Japanese coach makes Hong Kong debut
Takeshi Sato will make his competitive start for the city’s teams at the Hong Kong International Lacrosse Sixes this weekend

Hong Kong’s lacrosse chief has said he was optimistic about the team’s prospects after bringing in a coach who could take the development of the sport to the “next level”.
Well-respected Japanese coach Takeshi Sato became head coach of Hong Kong’s men’s and women’s teams in May after working as a director of the High Performance Training Department of the Japan Lacrosse Association.
He will make his coaching debut for the city’s teams at the upcoming Hong Kong International Lacrosse Sixes, which runs from Saturday to Monday at the Hong Kong Football Club.
“I knew Sato in person for years; he’s the coach of those who coach the national team in Japan, so he’s reputable,” said Raymond Fong Kong, president of the Hong Kong, China Lacrosse Association.
“Our former women’s team coach Yoko Shibata was also his pupil and she’s now been called back to Japan for the preparation towards the Los Angeles Games in 2028.”
Fong, who flew to Okinawa in March last year to interview the “legendary” Sato, said it took months to put the finishing touches on the appointment.