China’s Zheng Qinwen out of Australian Open, says she’s not fit enough to compete
Olympic champion ‘progressing well’ in recovery from elbow surgery last year, but not yet in peak condition

Olympic tennis champion Zheng Qinwen has withdrawn from this month’s Australian Open, saying on Thursday she is not yet fit enough to compete with the world’s best.
A former finalist at the year’s opening grand slam, losing to current world No 1 Aryna Sabalenka 6-3, 6-2 in 2024, Zheng said pulling out of the tournament in Melbourne had been “incredibly difficult”.
But the 23-year-old has played only briefly since undergoing elbow surgery after a first round defeat at Wimbledon last July, and she had not “yet reached my best condition that I have set for myself”.
“After careful evaluation by my team and following medical advice, unfortunately I will be withdrawing from the 2026 Australian Open,” Zheng wrote on Instagram.
“Although my recovery is progressing well and my off-season has gone smoothly, to play a grand slam requires players to maintain an extreme competitive condition.
“I can’t thank everyone enough for their continued support and am very much looking forward to being 100 per cent back on the court and have a strong 2026 return.”