-
Advertisement
South Korea
This Week in AsiaEconomics

South Korea-US trade talks: chances of deal slim as Apec nears, with Seoul to stand firm

Trump has offered to cut tariffs if Seoul commits US$350 billion in investment

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
2
South Korean protesters attend a rally against US President Donald Trump’s tariffs policy on South Korea, near the US embassy in Seoul on Tuesday. The signs read “No Trump”. Photo: AP
Park Chan-kyong
Despite weeks of frantic diplomacy, the chances of South Korea and the United States sealing a trade deal before next week’s Apec summit appear to be slim, with strong domestic backing enabling Seoul to resist a compromise seen as perilous to the national economy.
Under a framework agreement reached in July, US President Donald Trump’s administration offered to cut tariffs on South Korean imports from 25 per cent to 15 per cent – but only if Seoul committed US$350 billion in investments into sectors earmarked by Washington.

South Korea fears that injecting such a massive amount of capital at once could trigger financial instability, given the size of its economy and foreign exchange reserves.

Advertisement

Follow-up negotiations have stalled over key issues, including how the investment package should be structured and profit-sharing between the two countries.

Seoul’s presidential chief of staff for policy, Kim Yong-beom, told journalists on Friday that some progress had been made but the two countries still “remain at odds on key issues”.
Advertisement

“Differences have narrowed in many areas. But both sides still remain at odds over one or two of the most important matters,” he said, adding this was a “typical feature of negotiations”.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x