-
Advertisement
Malaysia
This Week in AsiaLifestyle & Culture

Malaysia says X must prove Grok is safe before ban is lifted: ‘abuse is not freedom’

Though X has deactivated several prompts, more changes need to be made to ensure the site’s safety, Malaysia’s communications minister says

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Screens display the logo of Grok and its founder Elon Musk. Photo: AFP
Joseph Sipalan
Malaysia is amenable to lifting its ban on Grok – but only if Elon Musk’s microblogging site X proves that its AI chatbot can no longer be used to generate sexualised images of women and minors, according to its communications minister.

“X must prove that there will no longer be incidents of videos or images that can be misused by users. If that is settled, we can release the temporary ban,” Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil said on Thursday.

Over the weekend, Malaysia and Indonesia became the first countries in the world to impose a temporary ban on Grok in the wake of global outrage over the flood of lewd AI-generated images of women and children on X.

Advertisement

Users complained that the images had been manipulated using the Grok chatbot to portray them wearing bikinis or in suggestive positions.

Last week, xAI – Musk’s artificial intelligence firm that developed the chatbot – said it has put Grok’s image editing function behind a subscription paywall.
A billboard organised by corporate accountability group Eko urging UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer to ban X and Grok passes through Westminster on Wednesday. Photo: Reuters
A billboard organised by corporate accountability group Eko urging UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer to ban X and Grok passes through Westminster on Wednesday. Photo: Reuters

X followed up on Wednesday by saying it would “geoblock the ability” of all users to create images of people in “bikinis, underwear and similar attire” in those jurisdictions where such actions were deemed illegal.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x